Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Almost 5 weeks!

Sooo..it's been a while since my last update. I'm not gonna lie, it's been ROUGH! I'm guessing my lack of patience isn't helping either. I have had many surgeries in my lifetime. I've had 3 c-sections, 2 hernia surgeries, 2 shoulder surgeries and now this partial sesamoidectomy. I have to say the partial sesamoidectomy recovery is by far the worst recovery yet.  At least with the other surgeries there was a predictable healing timeline...with this sesamoidectomy it seems like a crap shoot!! I am still wearing my medical shoe to walk around in and I have a scooter at work. Thank god for that scooter, it's a humbling experience and my high school students think it's hilarious. They are used to me doing all of the workouts with them and taking them on runs and now all I can do is bark out orders...I'm actually really good at that though! This has been harder on me mentally than physically I think. To not be able to even take a normal step at this point is super depressing and feels like there is no light at the end of the tunnel. I try to remind myself everyday that someone else has it worse! I should be so lucky that's it only my foot!! I have an appointment this friday. I believe the doctor will be taking an X-ray to make sure that the broken piece that's still in there hasn't moved. I am icing 3-4 times a day and trying to keep it up. Nighttime is the worst because of all of the swelling that has accumulated during the day. Keeping my fingers crossed for a positive future post!!

Clearly the right foot has a lot of catching up to do...that's as far as it goes!

Scar is looking good...swelling still there.

11 comments:

  1. Hello Julie, thank you very much for your blog. As I am sure you have discovered like I have there is not much information out their on sesamoid fractures and recovery. I work in education as well and I suffered my acute sesamoid fracture on August 20th. Took several to figure what is was after an MRI. I am reading so much about this injury. Some information is frustration and some leaves a bit of hope. As marathoner, this is the most frustrating injury I have ever had, and the persistent swelling and throbbing pain is no joke. I would to chat with you more to get your insight and learn more about your recovery if possible. Anthony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's definitely not much out there on sesamoid fractures. I have a partial sesamoidectomy 5 weeks ago. I've been in some serious pain, my doctor thinks things will turn the corner in 6 weeks. I can't walk on the ball of my foot, just the outside. The broken piece is still in there, I'm hoping it won't cause me too much pain. I still can't feel part of my big toe and some of my other toes have pins and needles feeling. There is definite nerve damage right now. I have physical therapy tomorrow I will keep you updated.I plan on running in 3-4 months. Let me know if you have any other questions.

      Delete
  2. I am just starting my first week in a boot and so depressed :( this is tough, the boot hurts my shin, my knee, so uncomfortable. Any encouraging words?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry to hear this. Can't remember if you said it was a broken sesamoid. The boot was uncomfortable at the shin for me as well. Try closing the velcro sleeve tighter, make it snug. I bought Hoka tennis shoes so my hips would be even {Hokas have a thick sole}, they are amazing. The boot didn't help the healing process so I had surgery 5 weeks ago. I am in pain, can only walk on the outside of my foot {with shoes}.I start physical therapy tomorrow. I have some nerve issues, foot still swells so I ice twice a day.I also try to massage and stretch the Big toe joint. I don't think I will be running for at least 4 months, this has been very depressing and difficult to accept. I will say that it is a little better than 2 weeks ago so I'm hoping it will keep getting better. I would do the surgery sooner than later, I'guessing that the bones won't heal back together. Wish I had better news. I will keep you updated.

      Delete
  3. Well we are assuming it’s broken, I am having a cyst come up on the ball of my foot as well. I have my mri on Wednesday with and without contrast! I’m just hating not getting to run, weather is so nice, it’s killing me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. O and I’ve gotten used to this stupid boot as far as my shin goes... I still hate it tho! 🙃☹️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! Just wondering if you have any updates? Hope you are feeling ok regardless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been a year and a half and I'm still having pain. I'm wishing they wouldve taken the entire sesamoid put. I can feel the broken when I run or cycle. I cant push my foot back as to do a lunge
    I am so font do a lot of jumping. Please let me any questions you have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Julie - wanting to see how you are doing 2 years post on. Just had a partial sesomoidectomy 5 weeks ago and still struggling to walk properly. Need to get more range of motion in my big toe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes - Julie please, please update this blog! After days and days of looking all over the internet I was so excited to read your story, but you left us with a cliffhanger!

    ReplyDelete